Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Problem w/ Video Game Studies


This article isn't surprising at all to me as I spent the better part of my youth studying psychology, and as always the classes I loved to hate ended up teaching me some of the most important things. Those being Stats, and Psychometric Theory.

< tangent >

Stats class covered (get this) statistics. Everything from how to get them, to how to manipulate them. Trust me when I tell you that I can get hard data on pretty much anything, beat it up w/ some statistic clubs and come up w/ whatever results we wanted.

Psychometric Theory class covered all psychological tests. Everything from administration to analysis. All of them biased in some way. Once you know how they are biased, you can manipulate at will.

< /tangent >

Now I'm not rising up against all testing, just on how said tests are analyzed and reported upon.

Now we in the gaming world all have read our fair share of studies. From violent "games bread violent behavior", to "game playing increases reflexes/hand eye coordination", and I believe we all take them in w/ a grain of salt. We understand that the reporters tend not to be games, they are not one of the "representative random sample" They are however sensationalists looking to boost ratings, all to keep their precious jobs in a dying field.

So yes dear reader, we have more ammunition against those people who scoff at us... Now go forth and read that article, for one day the knowledge may come in handy to slay the critics.

And if that doesn't work, we can always run them over like a hooker... then take their money (which floats around their lifeless body).... then paint the car (to loose the one star).... just like rl...*



*note: that last sentence was in jest... please don't kill your hookers... that's just mean...

No comments:

Post a Comment